Adventure with Connor


From my living room, out of one of my north facing windows I have a perfect view of Mt. Hosmer. I often find myself looking out, remembering the good times I had on that mountain with my friend Connor. He grew up on Bryant Road so we spent many days exploring the backroads and the forests below the peak.

We were in High School and Connor had a photography project he was working on; he wanted to shoot a time-lapse of clouds moving through the valley so we jumped into his beat up Nissan Pathfinder and headed for higher ground. We had gone over 20km on a well used backroad then decided to get off the beaten track and try a less used road.

We had been driving uphill since we left his house so hadn’t noticed the brakes on his truck were not working until we were forced to turn around once the road ended in a wall of trees. We almost went off the road right then and there but decided we could make it back to his house if we put the truck in 4-low and went slow.

After a few agonizingly slow kilometres Connor put the truck back into 4-high. Shortly after we arrived at the main backroad. Still in 4-high we came around a corner and began coasting towards a hill. The hill was about 250 metres long and ended in a 160 degree banked corner. There was a 30 foot high bank on our left and a wall of trees to our right. As we rolled into the hill Connor reached for the shifter and tried to pull it into 4-low. I will never forget the sound of the gears grinding, then the bang as the transmission popped accidentally into neutral.

Connor told me to hold on and swerved the truck left into the ditch, trying to flip us before we gained any more speed but we rallied through the ditch and were now riding the bank. We hit a huge rock with the passenger side wheel which forced us up the bank then back onto the road. Right before we hit the corner Connor swerved back into the ditch and we rode the corner like a berm. Halfway around we came to a stop then tipped onto the roof. Connor asked if I was alright as we dangled from our seat belts. We were both fine.

It was getting dark and neither of us had a phone so we left the wreckage and started walking. We walked for hours and knew our parents would be wondering about us. They were all waiting at Connor’s house, trying to decide if they should call Search & Rescue when we showed up filthy and exhausted. Finally with no need to go further, we slumped onto the lawn, and began explaining our adventure gone wrong. At least, we had the timelapse shot.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s